Friday 28 November 2014

Demons

It's a marvelous day indeed. The Finnish Parliament has approved same-sex marriages! The only right decision they have done in years... But I think it's a great big step on the road to better equality.

Anyway, my real topic today is Demons.


Demons appear in many beliefs and every one of them have their own perception of demons. I have recently read the book "The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology by Rosemary Ellen Guiley". The book describes many known demons and the vocabulary surrounding them. I am not sure if this book is written from the Christian point of view or not. But one thing caught my eye over and over again. Despite the common belief of evil demons, the book tells about many demons that were only described to do good. 

For example the demon Andrealphus's powers are teaching perfect geometry
and everything pertaining to measurements, as well as
astronomy. Well maybe from Christian point of view science is evil so I suppose it makes sense, haha!

Also there is  Bealphares. He will tell where treasure is hidden and will fetch gold or silver. Bealphares appears in the likeness of either a fair man or a fair woman and will appear whenever summoned. Bealphares will transport a person from country to country without causing any harm and will answer questions truthfully. He will give all knowledge of the magical arts, grammar, speech and
rhetoric, arithmetic, geometry, music, and astronomy.

Demon Buer teaches moral and natural philosophy, the logical arts, and the virtues of all herbs and
plants. Buer heals all distempers and gives good familiars.

Lots of interesting demons to read about huh?
I ordered some more Demonology books because I want to learn more about the subject. It's just horribly interesting! I want to learn more about exorcisms, conjurations, rituals, and history from every point of view possible.


Do I believe in demons? I don't know. I don't believe in gods or angels or anything like that. People say you can't believe in demons if you don't believe in god, demons are said to be fallen angels after all. But oh well, I don't believe in the christian demons. I believe there are just some entities that have both good and bad in them. It's a gray area, you can't know. But I still find it fascinating. 

But I suppose I have to put these aside for a while because I might have to at least try to concentrate on school. But this is so much more interesting. Can't I just major in Demonology? Hahaha!

2 comments:

  1. That's indeed quite interesting! I sure could use a Bealphares in my life haha ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I would have to agree with you on that! :D

      Delete